Nate’s Jaw Surgery

2013-09-24 11.30.44
So it’s been just over 4 weeks since I went into an 8 hour surgery. I remember laying in my hospital bed pre-surgery with Jen holding my hand. Next thing I knew I had no idea where I was and I was puking up blood.

Now I’m “eating” almost 2000 calories a day (tough on a liquid diet) and working full-time from home. It’s been a long 4 weeks to get here.

The first 2 days was probably the toughest. I spent my first night in the hospital and it took quite a few hours until I really became cognizant. I kept dripping and coughing blood for the first week or so. Swallowing was very painful for the first 3 days (because of the breathing tube that was in my throat during surgery). I used a syringe to drink water 5ml at a time. It was pretty pathetic and real struggle to take in 500 calories for the entire first week.

But, there was a little setback. The day after the surgery the surgeon decided to bring me back a week later and have another surgery. This one was much less intense, only about 3 hours. They literally could not move my jaw any further. They pulled on it and it wouldn’t go any further in the 1st surgery. So with the 2nd surgery they got it all just where they wanted it. This was tough because my body was already really weak from the 1st surgery and it’s aftermath. But Jen and my mother-in-law Marykay were both there (For both surgeries) and they got me home just a few hours after that 2nd surgery and took care of me.

So I spent a couple weeks sleeping, watching movies and playing videos games. After that I was able to start working from home and get back into life. All of this while trying to increase my calorie intake. It took until about 3 weeks after the 1st surgery until I start getting over 1000 calories a day. Jen did an amazing job of always have new “foods” for me to “eat.” Ensure, fresh juice from our juicer!, smoothie, chocolate almond milk, go-go squeeze (like applesauce). After a 3 weeks I graduated to scrambled eggs, yogurt, instant potatoes – anything I can eat without chewing.

I won’t get full feeling back to my face for a few more weeks or months, and it will take about the same time for the swelling to finish going down. But I should be able to speak and eat somewhat normally starting the 2nd week of November!  So not long until life gets a little more normal!

Look at my face change over 30 days

Some Pictures from the events

2013-09-17 06.19.54
Here I am before the 1st surgery, not knowing how tough it was about to be. Luckily Jen was there
2013-09-17 15.23.51
MaryKay made the 4 hour drive down, stayed in a waiting room for 9 hours just to take care of her daugher and son-in-law. They don’t come much better than that!
2013-09-17 19.37.21
Jen being with me every minute. I couldn’t ask for a better life partner
2013-09-24 13.00.35
After surgery #2. By this time I was a pro and could take funny pictures.
2013-09-18 09.17.20
It was a tough surgery
2013-09-29 19.37.08
After a couple weeks I was strong enough to have some guests!